Whether you have adopted a homeless dog or you are raising a puppy, it is always a great idea to teach name recognition. We recommend using Positive Reinforcement Dog Training to teach your dog basic skills including name recognition. Positive reinforcement training provides a great opportunity to bond with your pet. Each training session should be fun and enriching for both you and your dog.
Using the name of your puppy positively and consistently helps your canine companion to know and understand when you expect him to do something. Teaching a puppy its name requires lots of patience and some good training treats as well as raw hide and calcium bones.
NEVER call your dog and do something he doesn’t enjoy, like bathe him, clip his nails, scold him, or even ignore him. When you have to do something he doesn’t like, refrain from calling him; simply go and get him from wherever he is. He should always trust that something wonderful happens when he comes to you.
Choosing an appropriate name for your dog is crucial. You should know that excessively long names, with difficult pronunciation or those that may be confused with other commands, should be discarded immediately.
Your dog must have a special and pleasant name, but at the same time be easy to relate to.
- You should choose the right place and time for this training. Make sure that you and your puppy are in a quiet place that does not have distractions. Try to keep the sessions short as well.
- Say the name of your puppy in a happy, high pitched tone. You should encourage the puppy to look at you so your voice tone is important.
- You should give your puppy treats or rewards when he looks up at you. In the beginning, you should give treat to your puppy for every glance up for his name and give plenty of praise as well.
- Once your puppy is responding regularly, increase the distractions around you. You should start gradually and small increase the amount of distraction.
- You should reward at different intervals for the puppy responding at his name and praise each time, but you should give reward at random times. After this, gradually increase the amount of responses between the treats.
- Use the name of your puppy only in the positive situations. You want the name of your puppy